I got myself into a situation with my mortgage (not with Key). My 80 year old parents jumped through hoops to help me out.

Went to a branch and deposited a $6600 check the day before I had to wire a large mortgage payment to keep my home out of foreclosure. I checked my account balance at 6 am the morning I needed to make the payment and the check was not showing in my available balance so I called customer service. The young women I spoke to was actually very nice and looked into my account and assured me it would be available at 9 am. I checked again at 9:30 and it still was not showing so I called again.

This time I was informed that they had placed a 5 day hold on the money. I told them that I needed the money today in order to make a payment on my mortgage. The women I was talking to told me she understood, but there was nothing she could do. At this point I am in a panic, so I go to my branch.

The manager was in a meeting so I spoke to a personal banker. After bringing up my account he told me that he could not do anything for me but I could wait to talk with the manager. The manager informed me that she did not have the authority to remove the hold and I would just have to wait it out. I called my mortgage co and explained, they are working up a new amount I have to pay since it's now a new month.

Fingers crossed I will be able to pay it.

I have never received anything from Key - no phone call, email, text, or letter - letting me know what they have done. Just SURPRISE you can't use YOUR money. We don't care that it's an "emergency". No one has any authority.

We won't call and verify the funds because that would be providing good customer service. I realize they have the "right" to do what they did but the fact that they are so unwilling to do anything to help me was the last straw. Other banks I have banked with were more than happy to call and verify funds drawn on another bank in order to allow me access to my own money.

I have had other issues with them regarding my "available balance" and them not honoring payments when according to them there was more than enough available to cover them.

Needless to say, once the money is available and I can get my situation resolved, I will be closing my account. I will also tell everyone who will listen to stay away from Key.

Product or Service Mentioned: Key Bank Usa Account.

Key Bank Usa Cons: Poor customer service.

• 5 Day Hold On Funds